Everyone is talking about the skin barrier nowadays.
What is Skin Barrier?
The skin barrier is the outermost layer of your skin which is also called your moisture barrier. It keeps your skin protected from harmful irritants that can cause damage to your skin and keeps it hydrated.
Keeping water in your skin is your barrier’s number one job, and is key for not only dewy, bouncy skin, but overall healthy skin.
What causes the damage to your skin barrier?
It comes mostly because of stripping your skin of its natural oils with harsh cleansers, acne medication, and acids. Though internal factors like stress and hormones can also lead to an impaired barrier.
What are the signs of a damaged skin barrier?
Your skin may appear to be unhealthy and the obvious signs were redness, scaly texture, itching, inflammation, and dullness.
Here are some tips on how you can repair your damaged skin barrier
- Avoid harsh soaps, astringents, and skincare products that have irritating ingredients
- Stay hydrated, exercise for good circulation, and eat nutritious foods rich in healthy oils, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Choose products with niacinamide (vitamin B3), resveratrol, and green tea polyphenols. Gives your skin moisture a boost by using hyaluronic acid.
- Use a sunscreen with SPF 30 and higher
- Use products with peptides and ceramides
It takes patience to repair a damaged skin barrier so don’t overdo it because it might cause more damage to your skin. The best way to take good care of your skin is to keep your skincare routine simple. Cleanse, Moisturize, and Protect!